[tlhIngan Hol] {net jalchugh} and the various "then"

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 10:00:48 PDT 2019

charghwI':
> One imagines I’m rich, thus I buy the ancient cat
> One imagines that I’m rich — at the time
> that one imagines that I’m rich, I’m going to buy the ancient cat
> Ditto for “subsequently”. One imagines I’m rich and after they
> have imagined that I’m rich, here in the real world, I buy the ancient cat,
> even though I’m not rich.

There is something with your analysis, which contradicts my
understanding of the {... net jalchugh, vaj ...} construction.

The way I understood it prior to this thread, was that the {vaj}
refers not to the act of imagining (i.e. not to the net jalchugh), but
to the "what" I imagined (i.e. the sentence that precedes the net
jalchugh).

The way I understand the {jImIp net jalchugh, vaj vIghro' tIQ vIje'},
is not "I would buy the ancient cat if one imagined I were rich", but
"I would buy the ancient cat if I were rich". The prerequisite for me
buying the ancient cat, isn't that someone needs to have first
imagined it; it's the fact that I need to be rich.

If my understanding is correct, then I can't understand how at the
sentence {jImIp net jalchugh, ghIq vIghro' tIQ vIje'}, you write that
"One imagines I’m rich and after they have imagined that I’m rich,
here in the real world, I buy the ancient cat, even though I’m not
rich".

According to your analysis, the {ghIq} acts to the {net jalchugh};
however, according to my understanding, the {ghIq} and of course the
{vaj} act not on the {net jalchugh} but to the sentence that precedes
it.

I'm not saying that I'm right. I'm writing this to demonstrate my
confusion on the matter..

And if someone could clarify this, it would be great.

~ m. qunen'oS
Dun *ainur*pu', 'ej Dunqu' melkor