[tlhIngan Hol] Expressing "underwear"

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Wed Apr 24 11:13:14 PDT 2019

Seqram, brilliant as he is, should know to be more careful with his utterances. Witness {‘I’}.

If Okrand accepts {lumnaH} (a BEAUTIFUL pun), then it would be at least the second word that Seqram invented and Okrand adopted.

As if there were anyone here who didn’t know the history of {‘I’}:

Before there was much focus on sources in dictionary entries, someone asked if we had a word for “armpit”, and someone from the list insisted that we did, and that word was {‘I’}. Nobody else could remember ever seeing the word before, but that person insisted that he got the word from this list and he was positive that it was a real Klingon word. We argued about it for a week or so before ghunchu’wI’ went back into the archives and found a discussion that included a comment from Seqram about how important it is that we limit our vocabulary to canon sources, because otherwise it would be impossible for someone new to the language, who had bought all the books and seen all the movies, etc., but never knew the KLI existed to know that, independent of any of these canon sources, the KLI had agreed that {‘I’} meant “armpit”.

He was just making up an intentionally absurd example.

So, having found the source, we all knew that we needed to be careful to site sources, or we’d just get weird words tossed into the language at random. It was silly that this random utterance got preserved, its source forgotten.

At the next qep’a’, we told this story to Okrand and we all laughed, and as it got quiet after, he grinned and quietly said, “Well, of course, you know that there really is a Klingon word for ‘armpit’, right?”

We were all astonished and wide-eyed fell for it, hook, line, and sinker as he said, “The word is, {‘I’}.”

And… so, it became canon with a wave of his magic wand. We had a great laugh and got a new word. Poof.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.