[tlhIngan Hol] Clarification on SIch

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Wed Apr 24 07:42:35 PDT 2019

Am 24.04.2019 um 14:47 schrieb Daniel Dadap:
> I’ve heard the stories about the ILS, and how they went off and did their own thing with Klingon to the point where ILS Klingon and KLI Klingon were no longer mutually intelligible. I found this quite interesting, so I tried looking into it further, but sadly I wasn’t able to find much information about the ILS or very many samples of Klingon produced by them. Within the small body of text I was able to find, I didn’t encounter anything that I found to be totally incomprehensible.

The ILS had a very loose interpretation of the Klingon language which
did not cooperate with how the KLI handled the grammatical rules. I
don't know if you found the page at the Klingon wiki, but here are some
examples which everyone on this list will agree is not a good way to go:

- combining verbs with nouns: "qawQaH" meaning "mnemomics"
- using a verb as a noun: "DIpvaD tam" for "pronoun"
- Saying that {vI-} means "I" and {wI-} is "we"

And there were more of this kind. These are just minor examples, but
shows why they got arguments with the KLI who preferred to stick to the
rules instead off overbending them.

Besides, it is not confirmed, but it seems there were also some monetary
problems. The page at the wiki shows several "products" which the ILS
planned to publish and to sell. Also, their own translation of Klingon
Hamlet was completed in few weeks while the KLI's Hamlet took several
months, because they probably put more effort in finding a good solution.

Find details here:
http://www.klingonwiki.net/En/InterstellarLanguageSchool
http://www.klingonwiki.net/En/AlienLanguagePrimer

(PS: I'm not saying the ILS was a bad thing; this is a collection of
facts for the record. The old KLI wiki had much worse comments on ILS
founder Glen Proechel.)

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"