[tlhIngan Hol] Clarification on SIch

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Tue Apr 23 23:17:18 PDT 2019

Am 24.04.2019 um 07:48 schrieb Lieven L. Litaer:
> But at this point, I'm not sure anymore if the initial contact was for
> Vulcan or for Klingon. I'm sure he talks about it on some interview on
> youtube, I need to check that again.

Okay, I found it faster than I thought. Just for the record, here is the
story (which I've also added to the wiki now).

Source:
Marc Okrand in Video interview by "EC Henry":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YnYTSy0iYs

Marc Okrand was in Los Angeles working on the closed captioning for the
Academy Awards.

Since he was done with that sooner than expected, he had some spare time
and called a friend who lived in L.A. When she heard were he was, she
said that this is only a mile away from her job at Paramount Pictures,
and she invited him to come for lunch. She was the assistant to Harve
Bennett [not mentioned, but according the credits it must be Sylvia
Rubinstein], producing Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, which Marc
Okrand had also known for a long time too.
During the lunch conversation, they talked about how they would redo the
Vulcan scene. She mentioned a person who would help them from UCLA
(Okrand does not remember his name and would be happy to know), but he
was hard to get at the time, being busy all day. The producers needed
the job to be done before the end of the week and that was exactly the
time Okrand was there, so he suggested that he could do that.

So he just went there and did it. First he met with Kirstey Alley (aka
Savik) and a couple of days later he worked with Leonard Nimoy.

He was quite happy when he realized the weird situation that he had just
taught Spock how to speak Vulcan.

This is not in the video, but after this, Orand was simply contacted by
Harve Bennett to do the Klingon dialogues for ST3.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"