[tlhIngan Hol] Three things I would ask maltz

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 01:37:56 PDT 2019

loghaD:
> That being said, we now have the canonical word {DI'raq} for
> "a fluffy, woolly, shaggy Klingon animal [...] similar to a sheep".
> You might want to ask yourself what properties of the goat it is you
> are interested in that would make this word unsuitable.

It's the horns, and of course the main characteristic of the goat,
which is its ability to climb mountains. I always viewed the goat as
the best animal to represent perseverance.

loghaD:
> Perhaps something like a {pu' DI'raq}, {veD tIqbe' DI'raq},
> {HuD DI'raq} or {Hoch Sopqangbogh DI'raq} or would be suitable?

I like the {pu' DI'raq} and the {HuD DI'raq}. But I fear, that if
someone hadn't read this thread, and saw these constructions, his mind
wouldn't go to a goat.

loghaD;
> There is also an animal called a Degebian mountain goat which is apparently known to Klingons

I think we have discussed this animal here in the past too.
Unfortunately though, we don't have a Ca'Non spelling for it..

Ca'Non master:
> {meQbogh naqHom tIq} was used for incense in GILGAMESH.  In the past
> {noSvagh} “deodorant” has been used for both incense and perfume (KBTP)
> for lack of an alternative.

{meQbogh naQHom tIq} is nice, though not all incense comes in the form
of long sticks. Let alone the fact, that unless context described what
exactly was happening, perhaps the reader wouldn't easily understand
the intended meaning.

{noSvagh} is an interesting idea, which I think in the absence of a
better alternative would work in a more direct and/or efficient
manner.

I had thought of saying something like:

{melkor chIrghDaq, pIw 'IH luchenmoHmeH, Hap le' lumeQtaH}
in order to create a beautiful odor in the temple of melkor, they
burnt special matter

But of course, if we had a Ca'Non word for "incense" that would be even better.

Ca'Non master:
> *Adanji* incense was burned during the Mauk-to'Vor death ritual (DS9 "Sons of Mogh")

Unfortunately, adanji is a kind of incense used for a very specific
ritual, so we couldn't use it as a general word for incense.. Let
alone that fact, that we don't even have for it a Ca'Non spelling.

~ m. qunen'oS
Ca'Non.. Ca'Non.. my precious..