[tlhIngan Hol] Three things I would ask maltz

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Apr 22 13:11:18 PDT 2019

*{meQbogh naqHom tIq} was used for incense in GILGAMESH.  In the past {noSvagh} “deodorant” has been used for both incense and perfume (KBTP) for lack of an alternative.

The spellings *{bolmaq} and *{aDanjI’} both appeared in Keith DeCandido’s Klingon pro-novels.  The *{bolmaq} was defined as: "An animal native to the planet Boreth that makes a bleating sound and tends to run around in circles a lot." (KRAD).

(Felix, 7/25/2016):  Also, according to DeCandido, the {bolmaq} is more similar to a hyena than a sheep. I believe I asked this question in connection with the Minecraft translation.

*Adanji* incense was burned during the Mauk-to'Vor death ritual (DS9 "Sons of Mogh").  In VOY "Nothing Human" B'Ellana was burning some unidentified incense in her quarters when Janeway enters.
B’ELLANA:  It’s a combination of mental relaxant and expeller of demons.
                     It's an ancient Klingon remedy.
JANEWAY:  Interesting fragrance. I'm surprised it hasn't set off the
                     environmental alarms.

--Voragh

From: Jackson Bradley

mu'na' bIH mu'vam'e' 'e' vISovbejbe' 'a *bolmaq*, *'aDanjI'* je DIghaj.