[tlhIngan Hol] Clarification on SIch

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 09:21:32 PDT 2019

On Thu, 11 Apr 2019 at 18:29, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:

> The correct sense of *reach* in the Dictionary.com definition is number
> 3: "to succeed in touching or seizing with an outstretched hand, a pole,
> etc." This is what Okrand describes *SIch* as meaning. It's not clear to
> me whether it could also mean sense 5: "to stretch or extend so as to touch
> or meet"; can we say *'aqroS SIch yorghmey** The bookcase reaches the
> ceiling?*

The season 2 finale of Star Trek: Discovery has this spoken line:
"We will wade knee-deep through the ruin of our enemies."
{tugh mayIttaHvIS qIvDu'maj SIch jaghpu'ma' pIgh.}

Now, this sentence was (probably) not written by Okrand. But it's Star Trek
canon, and it's reasonably good Klingon, so I think (at least in L'Rell's
dialect) this means that {SIch} can also have Dictionary.com's sense 5.

(Now, as to what senses of the English "ruin(s)" the Klingon word {pIgh}
has, that's another discussion.)

--
De'vID