[tlhIngan Hol] Clarification on SIch

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Wed Apr 10 08:37:26 PDT 2019

>> Here are two more things about SIch I'd like clarified.
>> Can it be used with the body part or implement as its object? ?chabHom bal qoD ghopwIj vISIch I reach my hand into the cookie jar.
>> Or can the body part or implement be the subject? ?chabHom bal qoD SIch ghopwIj My hand reaches into the cookie jar.
> SIch seems to take the thing reached for as its object, so the first one is probably not right. The subject seems to be the entity that causes
> some extension of itself to move toward the thing reached for, so using a body part or implement as the subject is questionable. I'd stick
> to the known interpretation unless more information were > forthcoming. paq vISIch; tlhapmeH jan vIlo' I use the grabber to reach for and
> take the book.

I'd like to second this sentiment. English has quite a lot of verbs where the role of the subject changes depending on whether or not the verb has a direct object; I believe they're called "alternating ambitransitive verbs", but I'm not sure if that covers all of them.

Klingon does not appear to have this same tendency:

English: I move. / I move the chair.
Klingon: jIvIH. / quS vIvIHmoH.

English: The water froze. / I froze the water:
Klingon: taDchoH bIQ. / bIQ vItaDmoH.

English: The window closed. / I closed the window.
Klingon: SoQchoHpu' Qorwagh. / Qorwagh vISoQmoHta'.

English: I bend over and touch my toes. / I bend steel rods.
Klingon: yaDDu'wIj vIHotmeH jISIH'egh. / ghav 'uSqan tutmey vISIH.

...and while I think most of us interpret HuS in the intransitive sense of the word "hang", we can't quite rule out the transitive meaning without further evidence.

We have seen some Klingon words that show a similar type of ambitransitive alternation (ghom, choH, mev), and I'm sure others exist, but from an in-universe perspective, there's not much reason to infer that a Klingon verb is an alternating ambitransitive based on whether or not its English gloss is.

(From an out-of-universe perspective, there is some reason to expect this, because all of our source material is in English and this increases the risk that both interpretations of a verb will be used.)

//loghaD