[tlhIngan Hol] Clarification on SIch

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Wed Apr 10 02:10:16 PDT 2019

Am 10.04.2019 um 10:54 schrieb De'vID:
> Have you heard the expression "reach for the stars"? For you, would that
> mean someone was actually touching them?

{Hovmey SIchlaHbe' vay', Hopmo' bIH.}o

> These mean slightly different things to me:
> "Can you reach the book?" - Is it in range if you extend your arm?
> "Can you reach for the book?" - Would you extend your arm in the book's
> direction?

I understand it exactly that way (and I always did).

For your interest, in German these are two completely different words:

- "reach" - "erreichen", with the distance meaning "book on shelf"
- "reach for" - "greifen nach", meaning "to grab for something"

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"