[tlhIngan Hol] {net jalchugh} and the various "then"

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 05:49:13 PDT 2019

De'vID:
> What would these sentences mean?
> {jImIp. vaj vIghro' tIQ vIje'}
> {jImIp. ngugh vIghro' tIQ vIje'}
> {jImIp. ghIq vIghro' tIQ vIje'}

{jImIp. vaj vIghro' tIQ vIje'}
I'm rich. So I buy an ancient cat.

{jImIp. ngugh vIghro' tIQ vIje'}
I'm rich. At this time (i.e. at the time that I'm rich) I buy an ancient cat.

{jImIp. ghIq vIghro' tIQ vIje'}
I'm rich. Subsequently (i.e. at a moment in time after I have become
rich) I buy an ancient cat.

Unfortunately, I still can't realize what's the problem with the last
two sentences.. The only thing I can think of, is that perhaps we
can't define the {ngugh} and {ghIq}, only with regards to the {jImIp}.
Is it that we need to have set in advance a specific point in time,
where the {jImIp} takes/has taken place ?

On the other hand, if instead of {jImIp} we had {jImIpchoH}, I think
that the time frame would be expressed, by the time "I become/became
rich", so both the {ngugh} and {ghIq} could be understood with regards
to that specific point in time.

So, again I wouldn't be able to understand what it is that's actually wrong..

~ m. qunen'oS
thou shalt not willingly break the rules of Ca'non