[tlhIngan Hol] Clarification on SIch

Daniel Dadap daniel at dadap.net
Wed Apr 24 08:07:58 PDT 2019

> On Apr 24, 2019, at 09:42, Lieven L. Litaer <levinius at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> - combining verbs with nouns: "qawQaH" meaning "mnemomics"
> - using a verb as a noun: "DIpvaD tam" for "pronoun"
> - Saying that {vI-} means "I" and {wI-} is "we"

Interesting. It seems that {qawQaH} and {DIpvaD tam} could be easily repaired to things like {qaw QaH} (if using the noun forms of those words) or {qawmeH QaHwI'} (if not), and {DIp qa'wI'} (I guess that sense of {qa'} is newer than ILS, so maybe {DIp tammeH mu'} or {DIp lIw} if ILS had access to KGT). And the leap from {qaw QaH} to {qawQaH} really isn’t all that horrible.

Simplifying the prefix system by explaining that prefixes are forms of the subjective pronouns is unfortunate, though. I’m sure it was meant as a simplification to help new learners, but that seems like a great way to encourage incorrect habits. Still, somebody taught in such a way would probably produce Klingon that is strange, but comprehensible with some effort. It sounded a lot worse, based on the way I had heard it described previously (I don’t remember where or by whom).