[tlhIngan Hol] Clarification on SIch

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 23:48:00 PDT 2019

On Wed, 24 Apr 2019 at 03:58, Daniel Dadap <daniel at dadap.net> wrote:

> > On Apr 23, 2019, at 18:57, De'vID <de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I know one person who's alleged that they were almost hired in place of
> Okrand.
>
> Was that for Klingon, or for Vulcan? Okrand has told the story many times
> about how his involvement worn Star Trek started with providing lip-match
> Vulcan dialog for Star Trek II, and that he heard about the need for a
> linguist to do that through a friend of his who was involved in the
> production, and that at the time they were trying to get somebody else to
> do it. So there’s presumably somebody out there who almost did the Vulcan
> dialog for Star Trek II, but if this is regarding Klingon, it’s the first
> I’ve heard of an almost creator of the Klingon language, and I’d be
> interested to hear more.

For Klingon. It was actually for Star Trek: The Motion Picture, but his
ideas never made it into the movie. When they were doing Star Trek III, the
producers apparently considered using his work, but when Okrand was hired,
his original plans for Klingon were abandoned entirely.

I wasn't sure if I should reveal his identity, since he told me the story
personally. (We're former work colleagues and he told me the story when he
found out I was a Klingonist.) But then I found a tweet where he states
this publicly, so I guess he doesn't mind:
https://twitter.com/laurenweinstein/status/1118304529055764480
"I was originally also tasked with creating a written Klingon language
(ultimately that went to someone else)."

--
De'vID