[tlhIngan Hol] Clarification on SIch

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Apr 22 09:35:53 PDT 2019

On 4/22/2019 12:25 PM, Lieven L. Litaer wrote:
> Am 22.04.2019 um 15:40 schrieb SuStel:
>> I don't think it's silly at all. Their interest is in Star Trek canon,
>> and rightly so. Fans interested in Star Trek canon have no more reason
>> to accept something Okrand says in a Facebook message to me as Star Trek
>> canon than I do in accepting a line some writer has put in the mouth of
>> a Klingon as Okrandian canon.
>
> I'm not talking about some pesonal facebook message, I'm talking about
> The Klingon Dictionary, which is Okrand's work that he used to create
> Klingon in the movies.

But we don't only accept /The Klingon Dictionary/ as Okrandian canon; we
accept anything Okrand has to say about Klingon, including personal
Facebook messages.

And Memory Alpha accepts whatever appears on screen in any Star Trek as
Star Trek canon. (There might be some exceptions, like how Gene
Roddenberry declared that /Star Trek V/ might be considered apocryphal.)

> The following example is not an actual situation, but people on MA would
> accept "Kappla" if it were written as such in the closed captions, and
> if I tell them that it's spelled {Qapla'} in TKD, they would say it's
> not canon, because that's not how it appeared on screen.

And as far as Star Trek canon goes, they would be correct. Assuming that
closed captions are considered Star Trek canon, of course.

> That's what I see as silly or maybe even quite stubborn to refuse that,
> although they know that Okrand has written the Klingon words for the
> movies. I mean, it's the official Klingon dictionary, and not something
> that some random guy has written.

But /official/ is not the same as /canonical./ Something that is
official is simply published under a license.

> Nevertheless, although I don't agree with them, I accept that it's their
> policy and let them do it their way - including naming the language
> "Klingonese". ;-)

In Star Trek canon, it /is/ named Klingonese... sometimes. It's been
called Klingonese, Klingonee, and Klingon. Assuming they're all the same
language, which isn't really established in Star Trek canon.

Let's all remember that, according to Star Trek canon, Klingon has
"eighty polyguttural dialects constructed on an adaptive syntax." Which
has nothing to do with Okrandian canon.