[tlhIngan Hol] qIH and -chuq

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 05:55:40 PDT 2019

Two women meet each other.

One has a son, the other has a daughter; and unfortunately they are both single.

So, one woman wants to say to the other "we need to cause our children
to meet (each other)".

According to HQ 7.4 p.11 1998, (which since the HQ transcription
project went to the toilet, I don't have) the verb qIH always takes an
object or -chuq in "normal usage".

So, back to the two grandchildren-less women example, they will need to say:

1. {puqpu'ma' DIqIHchuqnISmoH}
    we need to cause our children to meet each other

or

2. {puqlI'vaD puqwI' DaqIHnISmoH}
    you need to cause your child to meet my child

whereas

3. {puqpu'ma' DIqIHnISmoH} means "we need to cause our children to
meet (someone unspecified)"

So, I want to ask three things:

1. Are both 1&2 equally correct ?
3. Is my translation of 3 correct ?
2. What is this "normal usage" our holy Ca'NoN talks about ? Is there
an "abnormal" one two ?

~ m. qunen'oS
go to the Ca'Non breaker temple; do what must be done !
only then will you be strong in the Ca'Non side of klingon..