[tlhIngan Hol] clarification of {DIn}

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 15:38:12 PDT 2019

On Thu, 11 Apr 2019 at 22:43, Lieven L. Litaer <levinius at gmx.de> wrote:

> I have received a clarification on this from Marc Okrand, and his answer
> even brought a new word:

> What I was driving at is that a {qa'rI'} at or from which one can enter
> or exit is a {DIn}. There may or may not be a (closed or open) door or
> gate there, but if there is, that door or gate is a {lojmIt}. That is,
> there's no special word just because it's a {qa'rI'} door.
>
> (By the way, a doorframe or something similar — something constructed to
> hold a door or gate, whether the door/gate is there or not — is a
> {lIvqa'nan}.)

The definition in the KLI New Words list is incorrect and needs to be fixed:
 https://www.kli.org/about-klingon/new-klingon-words/D/
"Open entryway (to corridor, tunnel, conduit, Jeffries tube, branch of
sewer) [This is the open entryway of any enclosed space longer than wide in
which people might find themselves. If there is a door that closes, this is
not a {DIn}. It is merely a {lojmIt}.]"

--
De'vID