[tlhIngan Hol] clarification of {DIn}

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Thu Apr 11 13:42:38 PDT 2019

HolQeD says:

"The open entryway leading into such a space is called a {DIn}.  If
there's a door there, it's referred to by the usual word for door,
{lojmIt}."

Am 03.04.2019 um 07:36 schrieb De'vID:
> How do people understand the antecedents of "there" and "it" in the
> last sentence? "If there's a door [[there]], [[it]]'s referred to by
> the usual word for door, {lojmIt}."

I have received a clarification on this from Marc Okrand, and his answer
even brought a new word:

What I was driving at is that a {qa'rI'} at or from which one can enter
or exit is a {DIn}. There may or may not be a (closed or open) door or
gate there, but if there is, that door or gate is a {lojmIt}. That is,
there's no special word just because it's a {qa'rI'} door.

(By the way, a doorframe or something similar — something constructed to
hold a door or gate, whether the door/gate is there or not — is a
{lIvqa'nan}.)

I hope this helps rather than cause more confusion.

  - Marc

This confirms what I had in this drawing:
http://www.klingonisch.de/mIllogh/tunnelwords.png

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"