[tlhIngan Hol] Clarification on SIch

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Apr 11 09:11:22 PDT 2019

Sometimes is useful to see how Okrand uses specific English words himself, e.g. "reach" in KGT (not counting idioms like "reach an age", "reach an agreement", etc.):

KGT 99:  A diner transfers a portion to his or her plate ..., if one is available, by simply grabbing the desired quantity of food with a hand. If the {'elpI'} (serving platter) is not close by, it is quite acceptable to just reach across the table or to walk around the table to a more convenient position. If necessary, two hands may be used to break off ({wItlh}) a slab of the desired fare. If {ngop} (plates) are provided, they will probably be in a pile somewhere on the table. It is acceptable to reach over and grab one; it is not acceptable to ask someone else to grab a plate and pass it down.

He seems to distinguish "reaching across, reaching over" with "grabbing";  the reaching precedes the grabbing.  Is this the difference between {SIch} vs. {'uch}?

"Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp,
  Or what's a heaven for?”
(Robert Browning, from his "Andrea del Sarto")

Voragh