[tlhIngan Hol] Clarification on SIch

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 02:28:39 PDT 2019

On Thu, 11 Apr 2019 at 09:18, Lieven L. Litaer <levinius at gmx.de> wrote:

> Oh dear - the more I learn about the word "reach", the more confusing it
> gets. :-/ Dictionary.com gives me 10 way to use the verb, and then even
> the object can be a different one, depending on the preposition.
>
> I'll wait for more examples till I understand this entirely.

More examples about "reach", or more examples about {SIch}? I think the
latter is perfectly clear. While Okrand's examples are brief, they were
clearly chosen to disambiguate whether actual contact is included in the
meaning of {SIch}.

> "You're right — the definition of {SIch} in TKD isn't all that helpful.
The intended meaning is (b), as in {paqvetlh DaSIchlaH'a'?} — maybe the
book's on a high shelf. Or {paq vISIch 'e' vInID}, which could be
translated "I reached for the book. The (a) meaning is covered by {paw}."

--
De'vID