[tlhIngan Hol] Clarification on SIch

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 12:29:18 PDT 2019

On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 2:26 PM SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:

> The fact that you can (apparently) say *meQ* or *meQmoH* to mean the same
> thing doesn't mean that one necessarily arises from a dropping or adding of
> *-moH* for brevity or pragmatics. That's one possible reason, but there
> are others.
>
> And we don't actually *know* that you can say *meQmoH* and mean *burn
> (something).* Maybe the existence of transitive *meQ* means Klingons
> don't accept the use of *meQmoH* at all, because that would be silly. I'm
> not saying this is the case, just that we don't know.

*jIbDaj lumeQmoH    jIbDaj lumeQmoH    qul bIQtIq qulHommey*

*Sparks from the fire river    Caught his hair,    Caught his hair.*
(paq'batlh, paq'yav, canto 12, lines 4-6, page 86-87)

(My guess is that Okrand started paying more attention to verb transitivity
in between KGT and PB, although this doesn't really help fit earlier
examples into a consistent grammar.)