[tlhIngan Hol] Clarification on SIch

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Wed Apr 10 05:44:36 PDT 2019

I honestly think you have this backwards.

A compass needle reaches for the North Pole, but it never reaches it. If I reach for a book, my hand is reaching TOWARD it, but until it reaches the book, it doesn’t touch it.

When I make my annual trip to AirVenture to see airplanes, the goal is to reach Oshkosh (in the non{SIch} sense of the word). I’ll arrive “there" {paw} and no longer be "here".

When I reach for a book, I’m still “here”. It’s just my hand that is headed over to the book. Even when I reach the book, I’m still here. The whole of me is not at the book; just the part needed to grasp the book and bring it to where I am.

Reaching a goal can become squishy, because sometimes we reach physical goals, like Oshkosh, and sometimes we reach for abstract goals, like a new high score at Sudoku on my iPad. If I can still be here while I reach the goal, I suspect I can use {SIch}, but if the goal requires the whole of me to be within the named area, I think I need to use {paw}.

The difference between these two verbs is that one involves moving the whole of you to the goal {paw}, while the other involves extending part of you to touch the goal {SIch}.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.