[tlhIngan Hol] Clarification on SIch

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 14:26:04 PDT 2019

On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 3:32 PM John R. Harness <cartweel at gmail.com> wrote:

> He replied:
>
> "You're right — the definition of {SIch} in TKD isn't all that helpful.
> The intended meaning is (b), as in {paqvetlh DaSIchlaH'a'?} — maybe the
> book's on a high shelf. Or {paq vISIch 'e' vInID}, which could be
> translated "I reached for the book. The (a) meaning is covered by {paw}."

On Apr 9, 2019, at 4:35 PM, qurgh lungqIj <qurgh at wizage.net> wrote:

So does it cover actually being able to grasp the thing? Or is it just the
action of extending one's arm (or other appendage) in the direction of an
object, whether it gets to the object or not?

{puq vISIchtaH} means I'm standing there, with my arm extended, pointing in
the direction of a child that I'm trying to touch, but without another
sentence no one will know if the touching happens?

Just trying to get this clear in my mind.

On Tue, 9 Apr 2019 at 22:43, Will Martin <willmartin2 at mac.com> wrote:

> Since Okrand used {SIch ‘e’ nID} to mean “reach for”, I expect that {SIch}
> reaches its goal.

Yup. The other example also confirms this: {paqvetlh DaSIchlaH'a'?} only
makes sense as a question if {SIch} means successfully touching the thing
you're reaching for. (You *can* always *reach for* something, but whether
you actually can *reach* it is another question.)

--
De'vID