[tlhIngan Hol] rIjwI' for anchor ?

Daniel Dadap daniel at dadap.net
Mon Apr 8 05:48:52 PDT 2019

> On Apr 8, 2019, at 06:27, mayqel qunen'oS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have the impression, that {jan} is to be used for "more sophisticated" devices, i.e. electronics, or even wooden devices but with more parts, than a simple anchor.

{jan} is also used for musical instruments, and at least on Earth, we have musical instruments that are as simple as pieces of wood for banging together. Even a simple instrument such as that, though, has some amount of design that goes into it for optimal function (type of wood, size and shape, etc.).

An anchor could be as simple as a rock with a rope, but a good anchor will probably have some amount of design to increase its anchoring power compared to a generic lump with the same mass.

I don’t know where Klingons draw the line between what is a {jan} and what is not, but I never felt like “sophistication” was one of the criteria for that.