[tlhIngan Hol] Duran lung DIr

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Thu Apr 4 22:43:27 PDT 2019

Am 04.04.2019 um 23:38 schrieb De'vID:
> If the cook is ordering five pieces of Durani lizard skin from a
> butcher, it would be {vagh Duran lungmey DIr}, not *{vagh Duran lung
> DIrDu'}. I don't think the latter is possible, as {DIr} is being used in
> the sense of a material in this context.

Okay, that may be correct in this context, but what I suggested is not
wrong either. At least, the latter is not impossible.
In his message in st.k, Okrand wrote:

----
[...]if the skin just came off either by natural causes [...] or by the
creatures being, well, skinned, then the body-part plural
suffix {-Du'} may be used: {DIrDu'}.

But {DIr} alone, without a suffix, is heard most often.
----

So we are both right.

--
Lieven L. Litaer