[tlhIngan Hol] Skybox 1 {juHqo' Qo'noSvo' loghDaq}

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Apr 4 07:04:23 PDT 2019

A similar example with another Type 5 suffix is:

  tlhIngan juHqo'Daq tlhIng yoSDaq 'oH toQDuj chenmoHlu'meH Daq wa'DIch'e'
  1st Construction Site:  The Kling District, Klingon Home World.   (KBoP)

Note it’s not the same thing as it’s not apposition but specificity or precision – is there a better grammatical/linguistic term? -- like a mailing address:  Apartment 4B, 1234 Blackstone Street, Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.  (In some countries the order of elements on an envelope is reversed.)

Another example of repeating the suffix (also not apposition) is:

  poSDaq nIHDaq je QamtaHvIS SuvwI'pu', chaH jojDaq yItnIS lopwI'
  The initiate must pass through a gauntlet of warriors.  (S9)
   (“while warriors stand on the left [side] and on the right [side], the
      celebrant must walk [in the area] between them”)

Yet another example is:

  tIngvo' 'evDaq chanDaq
  all around, all over (the place) (st.k 11/21/1999)
  (“from area-southwestward to area-northwestward to area eastward)
Again this is not apposition, but sequence:  from A to B to C.

Can anyone think of other examples where the same suffix appears on both elements of an appositional phrase?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

From: SuStel