[tlhIngan Hol] Hoch jagh Dujmey DaQotlh

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Apr 4 06:18:42 PDT 2019

On 4/3/2019 8:47 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> {QaptaHvIS So'wI', Hoch jagh Dujmey DaQotlh}
> disable all enemy ships while cloaked
>
> How exactly is the {Hoch jagh Dujmey} to be interpreted ?
>
> (Hoch jagh) Dujmey
> the ships of each enemy
>
> or
>
> Hoch (jagh Dujmey)
> all the enemy ships
>
> or
>
> Hoch (jagh) Dujmey
> all the ships of the enemy
> (with the Hoch, referring to the Dujmey instead of jagh)
>
> Is there a way of knowing, which of the three is the correct
> interpretation ? Or do we just use the Force to decide ?

It could mean /the ships of each enemy/ or /all the enemy ships./ The
third option is not available, because the Klingon noun-noun
construction doesn't let you insert other, unrelated nouns in the middle
of the noun-noun. /All the ships of the enemy /would be *jagh Hoch Duj.*

Since we're given the English translation /all enemy ships,/ it seems
clear which meaning Okrand had in mind. But *Hoch jagh Dujmey *can be
interpreted either way, and the results are not different enough in this
context to matter, so no further disambiguation is necessary. Whether
you disable the ship of each enemy or all enemy ships, there are no more
ships to worry about.