[tlhIngan Hol] How "pure" is Ca'NoN ?

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Wed Apr 3 06:46:53 PDT 2019

Am 03.04.2019 um 15:21 schrieb SuStel:
> Hooray! It's now perfectly fine to say *bIvoqbe' 'ej muSuj 'e'!* Because
> Okrand said breaking rules is acceptable, and we all KNOW what the
> sentence means!

I'm not surprised that you have to exaggerate again.
He did NOT say that breaking rules is acceptable. He said that if you
follow the rules, you can't do anything wrong. But if you do something
which does not have a rule, it does not mean that it's wrong.

> And now we can say *qatlh ghaH DaHoHpu' 'e' vISov*/I know why you killed
> him,/ because c'mon, we all KNOW what it means.

That's not what I was saying. We also all know what {jIH bang SoH} is
supposed to mean, but it's surely not acceptable.

> And OF COURSE we can say *chenmoH Da'oy' jIH,*//because it's completely
> obviously what that means. Anyone who couldn't understand THAT one has
> got to be brain-damaged.

Your silly remark doesn't stop me from admitting that I really have no
idea was it could mean.

> (Or maybe, just maybe, he just means that we should look at Klingon
> samples in their proper contexts, that what he writes shouldn't be
> analyzed as perfect and completely normative text. A Skybox card is just
> a Skybox card, not an Officially Sanctioned Representative of Klingon
> Grammar.)

Indeed.

--
Lieven L. Litaer