[tlhIngan Hol] Hoch jagh Dujmey DaQotlh

Daniel Dadap daniel at dadap.net
Wed Apr 3 06:00:54 PDT 2019

> On Apr 3, 2019, at 07:47, mayqel qunen'oS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> {QaptaHvIS So'wI', Hoch jagh Dujmey DaQotlh}
> disable all enemy ships while cloaked
>
> First question: Does anyone disagree, that instead of Da- there should be tI- ?

If the sentence in English is definitely an imperative and not an indicative, then {tI-} would make sense. However, there’s no reason to believe it’s an imperative, in the absence of further context. If the Klingon sentence has said {yIQotlh}, I’d agree it should probably be {tI-}, but {Da-} works for singular and plural third person objects.

> Second question..
>
> How exactly is the {Hoch jagh Dujmey} to be interpreted ?

I think the context makes {Hoch (jagh Dujmey)} the most natural interpretation, but {(Hoch jagh) Dujmey} seems like another possible one. {Hoch (jagh) Dujmey} seems weird, but rewording that to {(jagh) Hoch Dujmey} seems weird too.