[tlhIngan Hol] New words from "Miniatur Wunderland"

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Apr 2 13:16:09 PDT 2019

On 4/2/2019 3:57 PM, nIqolay Q wrote:
> *-Hom* isn't synonymous with *mach* and no one said it was. *-Hom* can
> refer to diminutive aspects of things besides size (such as
> importance). But *mach* /is/ one of the notions that can be expressed
> with *-Hom*, and there are examples (*bo'DaghHom, naQHom*) where it
> appears to be the /only/ notion expressed with *-Hom*.

I'm not going to go so far as qurgh in declaring the lack of
only-smallness of *-Hom,* but I do think *bo'Dagh* may be a special case
rendering it unsuitable as a data point here. *bo'Dagh'a'* and
*bo'DaghHom* are both introduced in KGT as words used to represent
exaggerating and trivializing, respectively. It's the *-'a'* and the
*-Hom* that contain these meanings, not the *bo'Dagh.* Although the
expression is fixed, the fact that it's a spoon is really irrelevant: if
the expressions had been *taj'a' lo'*/use a big knife/ and *tajHom
lo'*/use a little knife,/ the meanings would be just as clear. So the
*-'a'* and the *-Hom* really do mean something more here than just /big/
and /little./