[tlhIngan Hol] New words from "Miniatur Wunderland"

qurgh lungqIj qurgh at wizage.net
Mon Apr 1 18:08:13 PDT 2019

On Mon, Apr 1, 2019, 4:43 PM Christa Hansberry <chransberry at gmail.com>
wrote:

So are you saying a kitten wouldn't be a vIghro'Hom? I assumed it would,
> and a baby/not-full-grown targ would be a targhHom, etc., by analogy with
> loDHom and be'Hom, I suppose.
>
> -QISta'

No, I think a kitten is a {vIghro'Hom}, because a kitten isn't just a
"small cat" {vIghro' mach}, it's a lesser form of a cat. :)

{-Hom} never means "small" by itself, there's always something else
involved as well. A {loDHom} isn't just a small man, it's a lesser version
of a man, a boy. Often the things are smaller than their non-Hom versions,
because lesser things are smaller, but that isn't the defining feature. A
{loDHom} could be bigger than a {loD mach}, and a {loD} could be smaller
than a {loDHom tIn}.

qurgh