[tlhIngan Hol] New words from "Miniatur Wunderland"

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Mon Apr 1 13:28:52 PDT 2019

Am 01.04.2019 um 18:40 schrieb De'vID:
> That doesn't seem right. A {Qa'Hom} is not a small {Qa'}, but another
> species entirely.

Oh, yes, you are definitely right. This was just an example.

When I was talking with Marc Okrand, the focus was on the verb {nu'}.
The used example with {-Hom} may not have been the best and it does not
say anything important about the usage of that {-Hom} suffix. So simply
ignore that.

Anyway, all of those meanings overlap of course. {-Hom} does not always
refer to size, but it can. In the used example, a {targhHom} could be
some other animal, but it also may be a small targh - and yes, that
could also be {targh mach}. In this example, maybe it's more like a pony
compared to a horse. It's certainly not biologically correct, but when
reffered to as a "horse-Hom" instead of a "horse mach", it's still clear
what we talk about.

So again, don't put too much weight on what I or Marc wrote in those
lines with the word with {-Hom}. The focus is on {nu'}.

> What about something like a "miniature poodle"? Is that a {*poodle* nu'}?

I'm not sure that works... nu' refers to really small things, and I
think that poodle still has te size of a (small) dog somehow.

> What do you mean by "asked for atoms"?

I asked whether I could use that verb for atoms, because they are
reeeeeally small, but on the other hand nut unexpected small. He
answered he should ask Maltz.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"