[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tlhapragh

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Sep 5 07:06:58 PDT 2018

Klingon word: tlhapragh
Part of speech: noun
Definition: monster
Source: qepHom 2017

NON-CANON USE IN ST: DISCOVERY:

matay'DI', Lorca tlhapraghHom wItlhay'moHlaH.
Together we can deal with Lorca's little monster. (DSC/subtitle "The Butcher's Knife...")

tlhapragh 'oH, qatlh 'e' DaSov, la'?
How do you know it's a monster, Commander?" (DSC/subtitle "The Butcher's Knife...")

TREK TRIVIA:
  One of the holo-monsters seen in Worf's Klingon Calisthenics program wielded an axe, the blade of which sported exaggeratedly pointed finials. (TNG "Where Silence Has Lease")

PUN:
 "Bobby Pickett's classic novelty song Monster Mash was released in 1962 on Garpax Records. {tlhapragh} backwards is {gharpatlh}, which is almost a transliteration of Garpax. I say 'almost' because 'x' is usually transliterated as {Q}, not {tlh}. Maybe Okrand wanted to mix it up a little." (nIqolay Q, 12/12/2017)

SEE ALSO:
Ha'DIbaH 	animal (n)
yagh 		organism (n)
Dep 		being (nonhumanoid) (n)