[tlhIngan Hol] [The Little Prince] Is {DI'raq} "sheep" new canon?

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Sat Sep 1 01:33:58 PDT 2018

Am 01.09.2018 um 08:02 schrieb Daniel Dadap:
> majQa'! pup puqlI' QIch!

tlhIngan Hol ghojmoHwI' ghaH vavDaj'e'. :-)

> I take it from the line “DI'raq motlh 'oHbe'. DI'raq loD 'oH.” that a DI'raq, like a Terran sheep, is typically expected to be a female?

In the original text, it says "That's not a sheep, that's a ram." Since
there is no single word for "ram" in Klingon, the word DI'raq is
repeated, so I cannot say {DI'raq 'oHbe'} because the next line says
{DI'raq loD 'oH} - so I added the {motlh} in there to distinguish.

Basically, it'S like in English (or French, German) that a {DI'raq}
refers to the animal itself, no matter which gender, and you can add the
gender to distinguish.

I'm sure that applies to other animals as well.

> By analogy, would DI'raq be' be a ewe?

No, the ewe is a {DI'raq be'}.

> The video starts with “jav ben” but I don’t see this reflected in the English subtitles.

Oh, that my mistake then.

> Not being overly familiar with the source material, did perhaps the original French version specify that the plane crash occurred six years ago, where the standard English translation does not?

The standard translation also does show that, I just missed in the
subtitles (and I will fix that).

> Any plans to release an edition with an English back-translation rather than a German one?

Yes, we are working on it, it will be published quite soon I hope. The
problem is that ONLY in the USA, the text is not in public domain, so I
am not allowed to publish it there. But I will publish it elsewhere and
there will certainly be a way to get it to the US.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"