[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Dogh

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Sep 14 08:25:50 PDT 2018

Klingon word: Dogh
Part of speech: verb
Definition: be foolish, be silly

bIDogh
You are silly. (KLS)

Dogh; tIghla' rur
foolish as a *t'gla* (common simile, KGT)

jIDoghqu' vIghIjlu'mo' 'ej bortaS vIneHmo' jIleghlaHbe' 'ach chovuvtaH
What a fool I have been, blinded by fear and spite, and still you find me worthy. (PB)

Dogh ghaH 'e' Sov moratlh
Morath knows he has been a fool (PB)

matlhHa'lu'chugh vaj Doghlu' 'e' yaymeH molor
So that one day Molor will see the folly of his treacherous ways (PB)

qurgh < MO, qep'a' 2017):  [{ver}] is the same word as "be spiral". This refers to having a dizzy sensation -- being lightheaded, feeling like you're spinning around. It cannot be used in the sense of silly.

(KGT 122):  The idiomatic expression {ghaH vuv SuS neH} (he/she wants the wind to respect him/her) comes from the same story; it is used to mean He/she is foolish or He/she is a fool. For example, one might answer the question {qatlh betleHDaj tlhapbe'?} (Why doesn't he take his bat'leth?") by saying {ghaH vuv SuS neH} (He wants the wind to respect him--that is, He's a fool. The expression can be modified to apply to different persons or situations: {muvuvpu' SuS vIneH} (I wanted the wind to respect me--in other words, I acted like a fool).

(KGT 196):  Mistakenly calling someone a {Suy} (merchant) when the intent is to be insulting and call him or her a {Suy'} will have the effect of making the speaker appear to be foolish and, therefore, weak and hardly in a position to be ridiculing someone else.

(KGT 12f.):  Finally, there are some old but still popular songs that retain old words and old grammatical forms that are not interpretable in modern Klingon. In fact, it is not uncommon for Klingon children to think some of these songs are nonsense songs, filled with silly words, and then be surprised to find out that they are ancient hunting songs or battle songs.

TREK TRIVIA:
  "Obviously you do not know the difference between courage and foolhardiness." (Kor, TOS "Errand of Mercy")

SEE:
Doghjey  	unconditional surrender (n)

SEE ALSO:
QIp 		be stupid (v)