[tlhIngan Hol] Relevance of language ability to third person singular pronouns

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 21:47:29 PDT 2018

On Sat, 8 Sep 2018 at 05:45, James Stephenson <c4p7.fl1n7 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I wonder if something similar goes on in Klingon, not with animals,
> but with computers that have a natural language interface. Would a
> Klingon who used such a computer regularly start to unconsciously
> refer to the computer as a ghaH?

This doesn't directly answer your question, but in English, ships are
"she", while in Klingon, they're {'oH}. While Federation ships talk (or
their computers do), the only instance I can recall of a Klingon talking
ship or computer is in Discovery. (There's a scene where a device announces
something about atmospheric pressurisation to L'Rell, but it's very brief
and she does not refer to the device by a pronoun. But in any case, the
Klingon wasn't written by Okrand.)

--
De'vID