[tlhIngan Hol] Thoughts on mu'qaS veS

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Tue Oct 16 08:30:16 PDT 2018

Am 16.10.2018 um 16:01 schrieb mayqel qunenoS:
> And I always counted myself among the people of the second group..

I partially agree with this, because I hav also begun to speak Klingon
from the real-world view. But nevertheless, I still remember what
Klingon is based on. So I might not say "Klingons don't do that", I
would say "you don't say that in Klingon." or "there is no expression
for that in Klingon."

I mean, I have just translated the little prince into Klingon, and that
book is filled with things that a Klingon would never say. It's not a
Klingon story, and real Klingons might even hate it. But I made the
translation for real world people. To show the real world that one can
still express basic ideas without needing strange expressions.

Look at the word "please". I know there is no word for that in Klingon,
and a Klingon would not say it. But I've translated it anyway. And it
works, becaue it's not a Klingon saying it.

> Unfortunately though, klingon lacks these words, although we do have
> numerous words which describe the various body parts. So, I wonder..

I agree that it would be good to have those words. As you say, those are
just scientific descriptions of body parts, and DSC even showed that
Klingons have even two of them.

> is that ? Are we some kind of underaged children, who must at all costs
> never hear the f-word, let alone use it ?

Maybe that's really an American thing that we Europeans will never
understand.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"