[tlhIngan Hol] jaH with -moH

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Sat Oct 20 10:12:05 PDT 2018

On 10/20/2018 12:46 PM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:
> jIH:
> > Qo'noSDaq nujaHmoH chaH
> > maHvaD Qo'noS lujaHmoH
> SuStel:
> > Yes. You could also say the latter as *Qo'noS nujaHmoH* via the
> prefix trick.
>
> hmm.. This confuses me. I thought that by saying {Qo'noS nujaHmoH},
> the meaning would be that "the going takes place on Kronos', instead
> of "we are being caused to go to Kronos".

The direct object of the word *jaH* is inherently locative. Any direct
object you give to it will be interpreted in a locative sense. The
direct object of *jaH* is the destination the subject is going to.

*Qo'noS lujaH* /They go to Kronos./

Any other locatives that may be added in front of *jaH* do not
necessarily imply the destination of the going, since locatives in
Klingon can mean /on, in, at, /or even /by./ It's not impossible to
interpret a non-object locative in front of *jaH* as the destination,
but it generally won't be interpreted that way, since that's what the
object is for.

*DujDaq jaH chaH*/They go on the ship.
/*DujDaq Qo'noS lujaH*/They go to Kronos on the ship./

It's all about whether the locative is the direct object or not. If it
is, it's the destination. If it isn't, it's not the destination.
//