[tlhIngan Hol] Expressing "the outside of an object"

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Tue Nov 27 13:26:31 PST 2018

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 11:59 AM SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:

> On 11/26/2018 11:52 AM, Alan Anderson wrote:
> I would expect to be understood if I called the outer surface of my house
> {Som} “hull”.
> I'd understand you if you said that in English, too, but it's not the
> right word.

It's jargon, but I think it fits the meaning well. Even if you aren't
particularly well versed in geometry, I think it's an obvious extension
from the common meaning of the outside of a seed or fruit.

The dictionary definition does seem to limit its use to either botany or
heavy vehicles, so I'd have to agree it isn't a good literal translation.
Metaphorically, though, it's spot on.

-- ghunchu'wI'
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.kli.org/pipermail/tlhingan-hol-kli.org/attachments/20181127/61fc232b/attachment-0007.htm>

More information about the tlhIngan-Hol mailing list