[tlhIngan Hol] Expressing "the outside of an object"

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Nov 27 06:39:32 PST 2018

On 11/27/2018 9:21 AM, Lieven L. Litaer wrote:
>>> I would expect to be understood if I called the outer surface of my 
>>> house {Som} “hull”.
> Am 26.11.2018 um 17:59 schrieb SuStel:
>> I'd understand you if you said that in English, too, but it's not the 
>> right word.
> Unless he lives in an airplane that's standing in his backyard :-)

Not even then. To my ear, only boats and ships (including spaceships, 
because a century of science-fiction using nautical terminology for 
spacecraft have linked the two) have hulls. Not cars, and not airplanes 
unless they're flying boats.

According to Wikipedia, "The hull is the watertight body of a ship or 
boat." <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hull_(watercraft)> The body of an 
airplane is the fuselage.

Now, I've just does a search for linking the words /airplane/ and 
/hull,/ and it seems that when you're dealing with insuring the vehicle, 
the word /hull/ is indeed used. This seems to be special jargon 
specifically for insurance purposes.

Anyway, the point is that I wouldn't stretch the meaning of a word to 
refer to something kinda-sorta like the word unless I were really 
desperate. In this case, we're not desperate: we have other options that 
have been mentioned in this thread.


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.kli.org/pipermail/tlhingan-hol-kli.org/attachments/20181127/da461003/attachment-0002.htm>

More information about the tlhIngan-Hol mailing list