[tlhIngan Hol] Does {vabDot} always require a verb ?

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Fri Nov 23 12:19:24 PST 2018

On Nov 23, 2018, at 9:26 AM, mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:

> Suppose I want to say "everyone can become an officer, even my sheep".
> I could write {yaS lumojlaH Hoch, vabDot yaS mojlaH DI'raqwIj}.

{Hoch} is grammatically singular. As a subject, it should call for the null prefix. Using {lu-} anyway will be understood, but it’s like saying “everyones”.

> But could I just write instead, {yaS lumojlaH Hoch, vabDot DI'raqwIj} ?

“Additionally, my [sheep].” What about it? The sentence is incomplete. Can everyone be a sheep too? Can a sheep be an officer too? Either seems as likely/unlikely as the other.

> Do we necessarily need to use a verb with the {vabDot} ?

If you want to be grammatically proper, you need a verb. Why would you leave it off?

The Monopoly example repeats the verb:
{Qo'noS romuluS je boSuqlaH. vabDot tera' Qejbogh DIvI' ram boSuqlaH.}

-- ghunchu'wI'