[tlhIngan Hol] SoSwI' SoH'a'?

Michael Roney, Jr. nahqun at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 17:40:03 PST 2018

Are You My Mother?SoSwI' SoH'a'?by P.D. EastmanqonwI': P. D. EastmanmughwI': naHQunAre You My Mother?SoSwI' SoH'a'?Written and Illustrated by P. D. EastmanqonwI': P. D. EastmanmIlogh chenmoHwI': P. D. EastmanmughwI': naHQunTo My MotherSoswI' quvmoHjaj paqvam-=-A mother bird sat on her egg.QImDajDaq ba' bo'Degh SoS.The egg jumped.Sup QIm.“Oh oh” said the mother bird. “My baby will be here! He will want to eat.”jatlh bo'Degh SoS: <<toH! boghrup ghuwI'. Sop neH.>>“I must get something for my baby bird to eat!” she said. “I will be back!”jatlh bo'Degh SoS: <<SopmeH bo'Degh ghu'wI', Soj vISuqnIS! jIchegh!>>So away she went.vaj mej.The egg jumped. It jumped, and jumped, and jumped!Sup QIm. Sup 'ej Sup 'ej Sup.Out came the baby bird!pel'aQ ghor ghu.“Where is my mother?” he said.jatlh: <<nuqDaq ghaHtaH SoSwI''e'?>>He looked for her.nejHe looked up. He did not see her.Dung ghan. leghbe'.He looked down. He did not see her.bIng ghan. leghbe'.“I will go and look for her,” he said.jatlh: <<vISam; jIruch.>>So away he went.vaj mej.Down, out of the tree he went.Sor vartIqvo' pum.Down, down, down! It was a long way down.pumtaH, pumtaH, pumtaH! tIq leng.The baby bird could not fly.puvlaHbe' bo'Degh ghu.He could not fly, but he could walk. “Now I wil lgo and find my mother,” he said.puvlaHbe' bo'Degh ghu, 'ach yItlaH. jatlh: <<DaH SoSwI' vISam!>>He did not know what his mother looked like. He went right by her. He did not see her.SoSDaj tu'qom Sovbe'. juS. leghbe'.He came to a kitten. “Are you my mother?” he said to the kitten.vIghro' ghu ghom. <<SoSwI' SoH'a'?>> vIghro' bo'Degh ghuvaD jatlh.The kitten just looked and looked. It did not say a thing.legh neHvIghro'. jatlhbe'.The kitten was not his mother, so he went on.SoSDaj ghaHbe' vIghro''e'. vaj lengqa'.Then he came to a hen. “Are you my mother?” he said to the hen.ghIq 'uSgheb ghu ghom. <<SoSwI' SoH'a'?>> 'uSgheb bo'Degh ghuvaD jatlh.“No,” said the hen.jang 'uSgheb, jatlh: <<ghobe'.>>The kitten was not his mother.SoSDaj ghaHbe' vIghro''e'.The hen was not his mother.SoSDaj ghaHbe' 'uSgheb'e'.So the baby bird went on.vaj lengqa'.“I have to find my mother!” he said. “But where?” Where is she? Where could she be?”<<SoSwI' vISamnISbej!>> jatlh. <<'ach nuqDaq? nuqDaq ghaHtaH? nuq 'oH DaqDaj'e'?>>Then he came to a dog. “Are you my mother?” he said to the dog.ghIq targh ghu ghom. <<SoSwI' SoH'a'?>> targh bo'Degh ghuvaD jatlh.“I am not your mother. I am a dog,” said he dog.jang targh: <<SoSlI' jIHbe'. targh jIH.>>The kitten was not his mother.SoSDaj ghaHbe' vIghro''e'.The hen was not his mother.SoSDaj ghaHbe' 'uSgheb'e'.The dog was not his mother.SoSDaj ghaHbe' targh'e'.So the baby bird went on. How he came to a cow.ghIq lengta'. tangqa' bo'Degh ghu ghom. “Are you my mother?” he said to the cow.<<SoSwI' SoH'a'?>> tangqa' bo'Degh ghuvaD jatlh.“How could I be your mother?” said the cow. “I am a cow.”jatlh tangqa': <qItbe'bej. tangqa' jIH.>>The kitten and the hen were not his mother.SoSDaj chaHbe' vIghro''e' 'uSgheb'e' je.The dog and the cow were not his mother.SoSDaj chaHbe' targh'e' tangqa'e' je.Did he have a mother?SoS ghaj'a'?“I did have a mother,” said the baby bird. “I know I did. I have to find her. I will. I WILL!”<<SoS vIghajbej.>> jatlh bo'Degh ghu. <<DIch vIghaj. vISamnIS. vISambejqu'!>>Now the baby bird did not walk. He ran!DaH yItbe' bo'Degh ghu. qet!Then he saw a car. Could that old thing  be his mother? No, it could not.ghIq puH Duj legh. SoSDaj 'oH'a' Dochvetlh ngo''e'? ghobe'.The baby bird did not stop. He ran on and on.mevbe' bo'Degh ghu. qettaH.Now he looked way, way down. bIng Hopqu' ghan.He saw a boat. “There she is!” said the baby bird.bIQ Duj legh.jatlh ghu: <<pa' ghaHtaH!pa' ghaHtaH SoSwI''e'>>He called to the boat, but the boat did not stop.bIQ DujvaD jach, 'ach mevbe' bIQ Duj.The boat went on.lengtaH bIQ Duj.He looked way, way up. He saw a big plane.“Here I am, Mother,” he called out.Dung Hopqu' ghan.muD Duj legh.jatlh ghu: <<SoS! naDev jIH!>>But the plane did not stop. The plane went on.'ach mevbe' muD Duj.lengtaH.Just then, the baby bird saw a big thing. This must  be his mother!“There she is!” he said, “There is my mother!”ngugh Doch tIn legh bo'Degh ghu.SoSna'Daj 'oH!jatlh ghu: <<pa' ghaHtaH! pa' ghaHtaH SoswI''e'!>>He ran right up to it.“Mother, Mother! Here I am , Mother!” he said to the big thing.'oHDaq qet.<<SoS, SoS! naDev jIHtaH, SoS!>> Doch tInvaD jatlh.But the big thing just said, “Snort.”'ach jatlh neH Doch tIn,: <<SInort.>>“Oh, you are not my mother,” said the baby bird. “You are a Snort. I have to get out of here!”jatlh bo'Degh ghu: <<toH, SoSwI' SoHbe'. SInort SoH. jImejnISqu'!>>But the baby bird could not get away. The Snort went up.'ach narghlaHbe' bo'Degh ghu.Sal SInort.It went way, way up.And up, up, up went the baby bird.bo'Degh ghu SalmoH SInort.SaltaH.SaltaH.SaltaH.But now, where was the Snort going?'ach DaH muqDaq ghoSlI' SInort?“Oh, oh, oh!” What is the Snort going to do to me? Get me out of here!”jatlh bo'Degh ghu: <<va, va, va! jIHvaD nuq ta' SInort? HImejmoH!>>Just then, the Snort came to a stop.mev.“Where am I?” said the baby bird. “I want to go home! I want my mother!”jatlh bo'Degh ghu: <<nuqDaq jIH? juH vIghoS vIneH! SoSwI' vIneH!>>Then something happened.ghIq, qaS vay'.The Snort put that baby bird right back in the tree. The baby bird was home!SorDaq ghu' chegh SInort.juHDaq ghaHtaH bo'Degh ghu'e'!Just then the mother bird came back to the tree. “Do you know who I am?” she said to her baby.ngugh Sor chegh bo'Degh SoS.<<choSov'a'?>> ghuDajvaD jatlh.“Yes, I know who you are,” said the baby bird.jatlh bo'Degh ghu: <<HISlaH. SoH qaSov.>>“You are not a kitten. You are not a hen.You are not a dog.You are now a cow.vIghro' SoHbe'.'uSgheb SoHbe'.targh SoHbe'.tangqa' SoHbe'.You are not a boat, or a plane, or a Snort!”bIQDuj, muD Duj, SInort ghap SoHbe'.>>You are a bird, and you are my mother.”bo'Degh SoH.'ej SoSwI' SoH.