[tlhIngan Hol] Difference between..

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Tue Nov 27 06:41:22 PST 2018

Am 27.11.2018 um 15:30 schrieb De'vID:
>     {nIteb} describes the situation of an action, the other is an
>     adjective.
>     You could even say {nIteb jImob}. "I am (the only one who is) alone".
>

> That meaning is {neH} "only", not {nIteb}, which means "acting alone".

Ehm.... not exactly. When {neH} follows a verb, it trivializes the
action. The meaning of only is with nouns only (pun intended).
What I tried to express above was like "only I am in this room and
nobody else".

Also remember the phrase {nIteb SuvnIS SuvwI'} "A warrior must fight
alone". He can still fight in a group, but nobody will help him. So he
fight "all alone", being the only person hitting the enemy. And then, he
cannot be {mob} because there's at least the enemy next to him.

> {nIteb jImob} "Acting by myself, I am alone." (Perhaps you are
> clarifying that nobody has isolated you.)
>
> {jImob jIH neH} "I alone (i.e., only I) am alone". (Perhaps you are the
> only one without a partner at a social dance.)

Yes, agreed, that's what I wrote in my first line.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"