[tlhIngan Hol] Difference between..

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Nov 27 05:49:56 PST 2018

On 11/27/2018 8:11 AM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:
> Can someone explain the difference between {nIteb jIH} and {jImob} ?
>
> I *feel* there is a difference, but I can't seem to be able to wrap my
> mind around to what this difference actually is.

Ignoring the verb *jIH*/monitor,/ I'm not convinced that *nIteb jIH* is
a valid sentence. *jIH* is a pronoun, not a verb. It has certain
verb-like qualities when it's being linked to a noun, but that doesn't
make it a verb, and that's not happening here anyway. There is no noun
in this *mu'tlheghqoq.*

People read the "to be" section of TKD and get the impression that
pronouns act as verbs meaning "to be." This is incorrect. Klingon
doesn't have any verb "to be." All you're doing when you say *tlhIngan
jIH* is telling your listener that a particular pronoun will be used to
refer to a particular noun: /Me Klingon./ What TKD is telling us about
"to be" is that what English uses to express "to be" (a dedicated verb)
is handled by pronouns in Klingon.