[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tuch rIt

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 26 07:36:51 PST 2018

Klingon Word of the Day for Friday, November 23, 2018

Klingon word: tuch rIt
Part of speech: verb
Definition: to prophesize, see the future, know the future
Source: Email from Lieven 2018-01-01

(Lieven, 1/01/2018):  Next, we talked about a prophet.  Not the religious person like Jesus or Mohammed, but more some kind of a person who seems to be able to see or know things that others can't.  Okrand forwarded this from Maltz:  "This is a {tuch rItwI'} (or, if the context is clear, {rItwI'} for short).  {tuch rIt} means to prophesize, see the future, know the future.  For Klingons, the prophet is able to 'summon' the future somehow. ...  the term {tuch rItwI'} should be seen more literally as a 'future-teller' or a 'predictor'.  I think it would seem strange that if you translate a Bible verse and end up with future-teller Jesus.  To me, the prophet from a Bible sounds a bit like a holy person sent by god or so, and that's absolutely unrelated to {tuch rItwI'}.  It may work, but I was only pointing that here, it's not really a religious term...

TREK TRIVIA:

"Vulcans have a saying: 'One man can summon the future.'" (T'Pol to Archer, ENT "United")

"One man cannot summon the future." (Mirror-Spock to Kirk, TOS "Mirror, Mirror")

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons