[tlhIngan Hol] Does {vabDot} always require a verb ?

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Fri Nov 23 12:48:48 PST 2018

> {Hoch} is grammatically singular. As a subject, it should call for the null prefix.
> Using {lu-} anyway will be understood, but it’s like saying “everyones”.

In this case, I would agree with you, as you're saying "any/every person/individual", rather than "everybody (taken together)".

However, I don't think it's the case that {Hoch} itself is intrinsically singular. On its own, we have at least one canonical example where it is explicitly plural:

-----------------------------------

Hoch qImmoH mu'meyDaj
ghob 'agh 'ej val
yIntaH 'e' luleghmo' chaH mer

All were bemused by his words,
Wise and full of spirit,
And astonished to see him alive.

(paq'batlh, paq'raD, Canto 7, Stanza 9)

One might point out that paq'batlh does contain a fair number of errors, and MO does sometimes forget the lu- prefix (I blame Maltz' frequent trips to Morska), so this is not necessarily the strongest evidence.

Still, this would be consistent with the way it's used as a quantifier (as described here: http://klingonska.org/canon/1996-06-holqed-05-2-a.txt ). Again, not really proof (since the number of the last noun would be what determines the grammatical number), but unless there's some other source negating it, I'd say the best bet is that {Hoch} can be either singular or plural.

Still, if one wishes to stay on the safe side, one can always throw on an explicitly plural noun to make it plural.

//loghaD