[tlhIngan Hol] Does {vabDot} always require a verb ?

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Nov 23 12:39:55 PST 2018

On 11/23/2018 3:19 PM, Alan Anderson wrote:
> On Nov 23, 2018, at 9:26 AM, mayqel qunenoS<mihkoun at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Suppose I want to say "everyone can become an officer, even my sheep".
>> I could write {yaS lumojlaH Hoch, vabDot yaS mojlaH DI'raqwIj}.
> {Hoch} is grammatically singular. As a subject, it should call for the null prefix. Using {lu-} anyway will be understood, but it’s like saying “everyones”.

I was going to say the same thing, but then I found this in /paq'batlh:/
*Hoch qImmoH mu’meyDaj*/All were bemused by his words./ It lacks the
*lu-* that would be required if *Hoch* were grammatically singular here.

But then later we have *qeylIS bop Hoch’e’ Qoybogh qotar*/All he
/[Kotar] /heard was Kahless./ If *Hoch* were automatically grammatically
plural you'd need a *lu-.*

It seems to me that *Hoch* is grammatically singular or plural depending
on whether you're imagining it as individuals or a whole.