[tlhIngan Hol] qepHom 2018 - Games

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Tue Nov 20 23:06:45 PST 2018

Am 20.11.2018 um 22:48 schrieb Felix Malmenbeck:
> Do we know how {nel} is used in a sentence?

Good you ask, I almost forgot to include that, as it was not a complete
message we received.

Briefly, Okrand agreed that {nel} is used like {rur}.

Background:
At the qepHom, we played the game where you have to find two matching
cards. (In German, we call that "memory", but Okrand told me that in
English it's called "concentration".)

I wanted to call the game something like {nelwI'} or {tInelmoH}, which
Okrand rejected both, as it sounds strange. See the message here:

-----------------------------------
As for {nel} -- The more I think about it, {tInel} is not so good. But
{tInelmoH} is not so good either. You are correct -- {nel} works like
{rur}. So you can say {A nel B} "B matches A." You can also say {nelchuq
A B je} "A and B match each other." When you say {tInel}, the subject
(unspoken, because it's an imperative) is "you," but what is the object?
  If you say {A yInel}, the subject is "you" and the object, presumably,
is A, but this would mean something like "Match A!" (that is, it's a
command for you to match A or match up with A. Similarly, {A B je tInel}
is a command for you to be a match with both A and B.

Let's look at the construction if imperative is not involved (and let's
switch to singular). What would {Danel} mean? {A Danel} is something
like "you match A." {A B je Danel} is "you match both A and B" (that is,
you are a match with A and you are also a match with B).  That's not
what we're trying to say.

So how about {nelmoH}? {A DanelmoH} might mean "you cause A to match,"
but match what? {A B je DanelmoH} might mean "you cause A and B to
match," but that doesn't mean A and B are matching each other -- it
means you cause A and B to match something else -- but what?

The problem is that {nel} takes a subject and an object (the two things
that match each other), but not a third thing. And you can't use the
prefix trick with {nelmoH} because there is no non-third-person indirect
object.

So to give the command "Make A match B," you have to do it periphrastically.

So I labeled the game with {chang'engmey}.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"