[tlhIngan Hol] grammatical clarifications from Maltz

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Tue Nov 20 05:37:04 PST 2018

The new words from the qepHom 2018 have been included in Hol 'ampaS and
boQwI' already, the KLI's word list might also have them already.

Finally I have the time to publish them, so here we go first with some
grammtical clarifications. The words are Okrand's. (Note for nitpickers:
Okrands message was using bold an italic, which is lost in this
unformattted mail. That's why I added the brackets.)

-----------

There isn't much difference between {ghot} and {nuv}, both meaning
"person". Maltz did say that when these words are plural (with or
without a {-pu'} suffix), ghot focuses more on the individuals making up
the group while {nuv} focuses on the group as a whole. So {ghotpu'}
would probably be translated as "persons" and {nuvpu'} would be
translated as "people". But the rule is not hard and fast.

-

The verb {chagh} "drop" takes an object. If a cat keeps poking at a
glass until the glass falls off the table, the proper verb is {pummoH}
"cause to fall". {chagh} would not be appropriate in this case because
drop implies that someone is holding on to something and then
(accidentally or on purpose) lets it fall. The cat isn't holding the
glass before knocking it off the table.

-

{bo'DIj} is the institution of the court, a judicial organization. A
courtroom is a {bo'DIj pa'}; a courthouse is a {bo'DIj qach}.

-

{ghIpDIj} "court-martial" is a verb. The object of the verb is the
person charged and subject to trial (or actually tried) by a military
tribunal. The subject is whoever brought the indictment.

-

The difference between {'oH} and {ghaH} is the same as the difference
between their plural counterparts {bIH} and {chaH}.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"