[tlhIngan Hol] 'entepray''a'?
daniel at dadap.net
Fri Nov 16 21:13:25 PST 2018
In Star Trek V, there’s a scene where tlha'a HoD says “'entepray''a'?” and it’s captioned in English as “Enterprise?” Surely, he wasn’t adding the type nine verb suffix “-'a'” to a noun, so what was he doing?
* Using the type one noun suffix “-'a'” to mean something like “The great Enterprise?”
* Referring to the “Enterprise-A” with registry number NCC-1701-A
* Momentarily forgetting proper grammar for a moment because he was so excited
* Using a dialect or slang where forming questions this way is allowed
* Adding the verb suffix “-'a'” to a noun, after all
* Some combination of some of the above possibilities
* Something else
Are there other examples where the interrogative marker is added to a noun for a similar kind of sentence fragment as a question? Has Maltz ever commented on this?
More information about the tlhIngan-Hol