[tlhIngan Hol] Is the emphatic {chaH} Ca'NoN ?

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Fri Nov 16 07:55:37 PST 2018

I don't think it's been specified, but I don't think that the use of explicit pronouns is emphatic from a grammatical standpoint. However, using explicit pronouns may convey a sense of importance to listener/reader when they don't add any information to the sentence, as in «vIta' jIH.»; after all, the word doesn't serve any clarifying function, so that really only leaves being in there either for emphasis or for purely aesthetic reasons.

You can make this emphasis more explicit by using -'e', or stressing the word «jIH».

On the other hand, in «vIghro'mey legh chaH.», the word «chaH» helps to disambiguate the sentence, so you'd need something else (-'e', tone of voice, form of speech, etc.) to make it emphatic.

//loghaD