[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: nIQ

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Nov 7 07:12:12 PST 2018

Klingon word: nIQ
Part of speech: noun
Definition: breakfast
Source: TKD

(KGT 100):  Klingons tend to eat quickly, taking rather large amounts of food into their mouths and swallowing in big gulps. This is true of food eaten at any of the four daily meals ({nIQ} [breakfast], {megh} [lunch], {'uQ} [dinner], and {ghem} [usually translated as midnight snack, but really a late-night meal of some substance]), as well as food eaten at any other time.

(st.k 6/1997):  I also don't think Klingons, not being prone to stand on ceremony where eating is concerned, would object to eating breakfast in something called a {'uQ pa'} "dinner room", a common-type noun-noun construction.

CULTURAL NOTES:

  Cold {qagh} is a common Klingon breakfast food.  B'Elanna missed Neelix's special Klingon breakfast buffet, though a bowl of cold {qagh} was not her idea of how to start a morning.  She's not alone; none of the crew seemed especially enthusiastic about it either. (VOY "Fair Trade")

  "I don't believe it.  *Gagh* for Breakfast, *gagh* for lunch, *gagh* for dinner...  Am I the only one who thinks Klingon menus need to have more variety?" (Quark, DSN "Shadows and Symbols")

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons